Friday, March 6, 2009

Oh the Temptation. Get Behind Me Satan!




So some of my friends don't think I'm going to be able to make it through this whole lent thing. I do. though they respect me and what I'm trying to do, I'm afraid they could not help themselves. They have taken to texting me pictures of fast food from one of my favorite Missoula fast food joints, Taco Del Sol. It's amazing! Better than both Rubios, Wahoo's or Qdoba.
I know they think they are being funny right now, and lets face it, I'm more pissed I'm not the one sending the pictures and annoying them from 900 miles away. But it's actually reminding me that I havn't eaten anything yet today, which is doubley annoying.
But on a lighter note, me being occasionaly hungary and reminded of my lenten promise is starting to cause me to think of how much i consume as a person. I eat because I'm hungary, bored, "tipsy" or to keep something i cooked from going bad. But for me to assert control over this minute part of my life is actually causing me to re evaluate my behaviors of food consumption. The conclusion I have come to is that I consume a lot, and not because I need to, but because I can. When I do this, over time I lose track of what is and is not "normal" or "acceptable".
Now, I take this one step further, how much in my life am I consuming needlessly? Greedily? In the face of a nation wide economic crisis, I continue to consume. What the hell is wrong with this picture? Is it possible for me to go one week ore even one day without spending a single dollar? I used to do it all the time as an undergrad.
I'm not trying to beat myself up or be masochistic here. I'm just sharing some thoughts that have crossed my mind over the past few days. My bishop actually had some interesting words about lent for me today, about the fast being bracketed before and after by celebration and feast, but more on that as I have to ponder how that fits in to all of this.
Thank you all for your thoughts and kind words.
-Joh

No comments:

Post a Comment